Finding out your home in Brea, CA has a serious termite problem can be devastating. These destructive insects have the ability to destroy the integrity of your home and cause thousands of dollars in damage. While calling a professional exterminator is the only way to successfully rid your home of these unwanted pests, there are preventive measures you can take to stop an invasion from occurring. Listed below are 5 steps you can take to decrease the chance of termites assaulting your home.
1. Termites devour wood, hence the importance of removing any wood debris surrounding the perimeter of your property. Whether it’s a tree stump or wood left over from a construction job, termites will find it extremely appetizing and once they’ve finished consuming the scraps, they will most likely move on to your home.
2. High moisture is detrimental to your homes well being. Standing puddles and water that does not drain away from your house is extremely attractive to termites. Making sure your gutters are clean and having a barrier between any mulch you are using and your home’s foundation is crucial.
3. Consider using termite resistant wood when building structures. Some examples are bamboo, cedar and redwood. While termites dislike these types of wood, that doesn’t mean the risk is completely gone. You should still be diligent about inspecting areas utilizing them.
4. If you’ve encountered a termite problem before and you’re looking to prevent another one from happening, consider installing a sand barrier around your home. Termites can not tunnel through most kinds of sand, that’s why hiring a professional to set up a barrier can save you from a future invasion.
5. Regularly inspecting your home for signs of termite damage can alert you early on to a problem. You should keep an eye out for suspicious wood deterioration and pay close attention to the foundation of your property. Unfortunately, not all damage is easily seen, and while performing your own inspection is highly recommended, it’s also a good idea to have a professional exterminator examine your home once a year.
Calling a professional the second you suspect a termite invasion is critical to lessening the damage these pest are able to do. If you’re in need of an exterminator in Brea, CA, please contact us, and we’ll send one of our experts to your home to inspect your property and provide you with the best possible solution.